Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Being a Groupie

This is from last Wednesday, when they played at the school's Photography Expo.

Btw, the bass player is a fill in because Carlos and Santi were not available.

Finally, the full instrumental version of Heartbeat. They do have the lyrics, I just haven't heard it yet because we were supposed to get together last week to rehearse but they canceled last minute. I've been finding that it's hard to really create schedules with them, because two of the members have so little free time. Carlos and Santiago play in the school's marching band and they rehearse a LOT, which makes it very hard to set up times that are convenient for all parties involved. As I have mentioned before in a post, what's so different between this year and last year is depending on others; I depend on the band almost 100% -I need the songs, I need their time, I need a setlist, I need approval to do things. Right now, with only two weeks and a half left, this detail is starting to stress me out. My goal for this week is to have the doc video and the website done (with the website maybe only missing some content).

Meanwhile, I can still brainstorm for the music video since I have the melody now. The style of the song reminds me of Pink Floyd A LOT, especially Dark Side of the Moon, and I believe that's where most of my visions for this video I coming from. I was talking to Jean and Rafa during the Expo and they pitched this to me: film the scenes of them playing with a faster tempo and then slow down in post production so it matches the actual tempo. Why? Because then all their movements will be slowed down. We talked about pipes with holes and flowing water through them, we talked about punching a glass panel and filming it breaking. The general agreement is that we're going to sorta follow a "Dark Necessities" route, being mostly promotional and having actors acting (yes, actors act, Lari) but not really following any story line; the amount of actor presence is not yet defined, although I believe we're going to end up keeping it to a minimal. Overall, I see very exaggerated movements, close-ups and extreme close-ups, a lot of lowkey lighting and cool colors, circular pans and tilts to the sky -or roof... I see something sort of psychedelic and disjointed.

I truly like the instrumental version of the song and couldn't be more excited to hear the lyrics (also desperate to hear them). I am actually thinking of pitching the idea to them of having the instrumental version of the song as an extra/bonus track and I'll look more into that when I'm doing the digipak.


P.S. The inside joke is that they need new songs... They always play "Skin and Bones" and "Don't Let Me Down"

No comments:

Post a Comment