Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Welcome, InDesign

 I am working intensively on the website this week and have already made some progress; there is a sketch of the home page sitting on my backpack right now, but I will leave that to the next post. This post is dedicated to some fun I am having working with InDesign.

It all started when I started editing the website and saw myself trying to come up with a good header. I thought "it should say the name of the band", and puf, a basic, clean title saying "SURFING ON SATURN" popped up at the top of the website (yes, like magic). It looked good, yet simple, but I didn't saw that as a problem....
Attempt #1
Theeeeeen.... because I am not too simplistic and thought something was missing, I started surfing -ha!- the web for other websites, and found that many use small logos or titles, but nothing as big as what I produced. You can see in previous website examples I posted that the name of the band does not take that much space on the page. Then I tried something else:
Attempt #2
I liked it, especially if I made it wayyy smaller and moved it to the right a tad more (Wix has this weird thing where it starts cutting pictures if you shrink them too much), yet something was slightly wrong. I have to mention that when I began doing this my brother was doing homework right next to me, and when I am working on something I have to be constantly asking him "but what do you think?", "is it good?", "look", "should I change anything?". He gets annoyed but oh well, that's one of the guidelines for being my brother. Usually he just nods or gives short answers, but for this he actually helped. I told him I was worried the first option was too big of a header considering other websites, but he made me realize that these other bands are already famous so they don't have to THROW their name right at people's faces. Impressive, brother. I posed the question to my classmates and mentioned what my brother had said, and they all agreed with him. Also, I felt like just giving "SOS" is not going to make all people remember that this is Surfing on Saturn. Spelling out the name would be a better route.

Back to square one, but at least not making bad decisions. I wanted to stick to the logo because that is their logo and it will be used on albums, social media, merchandise, etc. Having it present on the website is important to remind people that "hey, that's Surfing on Saturn"...which brings me to:

Attempt #3
First time I looked at it I thought it was fine, but then after a while... it wasn't anymore. My friend, Celeste, said that it looked repetitive and weird, to which I completely agreed.

Back to square one once more. I thought of having the name spelled out on the home page, and the logo on every other, but that doesn't create consistency and fixation on people's minds. I tried placing the logo on the sides, but it still looked redundant. Then I tried the footer, but it needs to be visible as soon as people get on the website. That's when my beautiful friend, Isabella, asked "why don't you use the 'O' in the logo and replace it for the 'o' in the header?"

I don't know why, Isa, but yes. Yes.

Attempt #4
It alludes to the logo, which will be present on other elements of the website and the band's platforms in general, and still tells the name to the audience. Of course this is a rough rough draft, since it's CLEAR that the 'O' is way thinner than the rest of the letters and not even the same height, but that's what brings me to InDesign.

I basically just used it to type up the title and add the 'O' from the logo, since the program gives me the ability to adjust the font size, space between the letters, gives me many font options, and I can well manipulate the image of the 'O'. The hard part was finding a font that matched the one in the logo (a task in which dafont.com helped me a lot), but I pushed through it and succeeded ~cheers of joy~.

Final version

No comments:

Post a Comment