Monday, March 27, 2017

Story Time

I am behind schedule. This weekend was pretty chaotic because of some personal issues, so I am behind schedule right now and need to get back on track FAST. I'm pretty worried, not gonna lie, and will probably be posting everyday this week (for everyone's happiness).

After MANY TRIES and failed attempts I set up a channel for the band on YouTube. Uhu. I started creating a new account for Surfing on Saturn and setting up the channel from there. Then the quest to change the icon begun and for SOME GODLY REASON I could not for the life of me change the icon. I have never logged out and on again to an account before (by the way, any rational person would know this is not the solution to making an icon work). So I got nervous mad and anxious and went on a quest through Google. I found some help pages about something called a "brand account", which can be managed by many people and thought "hey, a brand account would be ideal because all the members can have access to it", deleting then the newly created Surfing on Saturn account. Setting up a brand account was twice as hard as changing the channel icon, because every time I typed in "how to create a brand account" on Google, this showed up:

Where is my straight forward answer, Mr. Google?
I clicked the first link and couldn't find a straight forward answer so I got even more nervous and mad and anxious. But I finally settled down and decided to read the page from beginning to end and... voila, YouTube channel. I set it up from my own personal account, which makes me the manager, and can add people to it however I please (power). For now only I will have access to it, to make sure nothing gets confusing and we're not overlapping content, specially because all the content to "introduce" the band is being created right now by me.

Channel art: for now I am using their logo, but I want to change it for a good picture of the four of them. Unfortunately, they cancelled the photo shoot last week so I still don't have any pictures that will fit this purpose. Hoping we will have one this week but... working according to other people's schedules can be tricky sometimes.

Icon: REALLY. HARD. TO. DO. When you click to change the icon this pops up:
At first I calmed down a bit because I hadn't read that the first 1000 times I tried to change the icon, but then a "few minutes" passed and the icon was still NOT SHOWING. It's still not showing. I literally don't know what to do. I guess I'll check tomorrow morning and see what's up.
This is the image I want to use as an icon for now, before I can get a good picture of the band and replace the channel art (then the logo will be the icon).

Custom URL: There are guidelines to be eligible for a custom URL, which are

  • Have 100 or more subscribers
  • Be at least 30 days old
  • Have an uploaded photo as channel icon
  • Have uploaded channel art

I'm going to do a mass raid on social media -as soon as the icon uploads- to get people subscribed. I can't control being at least 30 days old, so I'll just have to wait. "Have an uploaded photo as channel icon", I guess I have that? Really wouldn't be able to tell. Last item done. After all those I can change the url to "surfingonsaturn", which is uniform to all their social media and easier for people to find. 

With the basics done I begun to play around with more advanced settings. The first one I noticed was the one in the picture to the right, when I clicked "for new visitors". As you can see, it advises the person managing the page to add a "channel trailer", which would introduce the channel to new visitors. When I saw that I immediately thought of the doc video, since its purpose has already been established as a introduction of the band to the audience. I decided to upload the doc video as a "channel trailer", which I actually am working my best to have by the end of this week.

Following, I added some tags to the channel to make it easier for people to find it. I went crazy and typed everything from "surfing on saturn" to "monkey with a big butt". (Just kidding, I didn't really typed that last one up, I'm not crazy.)

Then I created links, which appear on the header of the channel, to their website, Instagram, and Twitter. That's how I'll keep people connected to all their platforms through each one of their platforms.

Finally, I added two live performances I recorded and their first music video, Skin and Bones.

After all this explanation, click here to check out all I just said it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment