Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Wait a Second

I am here today to show my masthead! Not the final, digital version (I'm still working on that one), but the sketch.

I think it looks cute
So here's how I came up with this: I got a blank sheet of paper, my mechanical pencil, and my eraser; I stopped for a second to think what I wanted, but I couldn't really put my finger on it; I  started drawing numbers; I came up with this and I liked it. Pretty simple, right? I said it in a previous post that I wanted something versatile and simple, so I can play around with it, change the color, place it wherever I want it, and that's what I have created. (I'm already decided on its placement in the cover, which is a surprise, so don't even ask).

Now to the controversial comma.

I have shown this to some of my friends and Mrs. Stoklosa already, and they all have said that I should have a meaning for the comma. To be completely and absolutely honest, at first, I just drew it. I was done with the 7 and thought something was missing, so my mind automatically added a comma. I don't know how my mind comes to the conclusions it does sometimes, or has the ideas it has sometimes, but I always embrace it because I know my mind works quite well; if it wasn't for her -yes, my mind is a girl- I wouldn't do one third of the things I do, or come up with one fourth the things I write, draw, and create. I looked at it and why not? Looked cool. But listening to my friends and teacher saying it should have a meaning, I realized that it should have a meaning. Here it is:

Didn't know there were comma butterflies. That's actually cool.
We all know where commas are for; they create a pause, separate things. That's it. But if you think about it, after a comma you always know something is coming. Periods finish off sentences, indicate an end, but commas imply that there is more -yes, so do colons and semi-colons, but you know what, commas are cuter. So -and I'm gonna be all philosophical now-, the comma in my masthead represents the idea that there are many things awaiting the reader inside the magazine; it indicates the continuity, the desire for more than a cover page, the promise of something after that comma. Also, it is a literary magazine after all, and commas are part of the world of each and every writer -they should actually be part of the world of each and every person, but let's not judge.

The comma will also be a recurring symbol in my magazine. I have already designed my table of contents, and it includes the comma on many different places -in fact, I'll be posting that next; I thought this post would aid in explaining what's up with all the commas. The commas will also be on the title of every page -after the title I mean, for example "Thralldom,"- because, well, after the title comes the piece.  It all comes back to the idea of  "there's more after".

Yes, it started off as a simple creative choice, but I had to come up with a meaning so HERE IT IS. Many people thought I wouldn't do it, that there was no reason for a comma there, that it should be a period. Well, I guess there is, isn't it? And just because people doubted me, it's all over my magazine now. Go big or go home. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lari! I feel as though I personally know you by reading your blog because you put so much of your voice and character into it, which I love and find absolutely amazing! I also find your blog asethetically pleasing and I think it represents you and your style very accuraltely, as I can tell through your writing. I think your idea for your magazine is extremely interesting and unique and I can't wait to read it when it is finished! After reading through your fascinating blog, I can tell you are dedicated and focused on what you want to achieve. I am doing a magazine as well, so it is interesting to see the similarities and differences, despite our genres, of our progress and our content.
    I am really glad you posted a sketch of your own because as I have been eager to see your own originally vision, rather than just other magazines. I completely understand that you use them for inspiration, trust me I get that you need to draw insight from somewhere and there is nothing wrong with that, but I would just love to see more of your own sketches or graphics in future posts so I can share your passion with you and see your take and angle from your own work on your magazine.
    I am going to keep on following up on your blog because you pulled me in with how exciting each of your posts are. I really enjoy how real and blunt you are in your writing and I respect it. You're doing awesome and I can't wait to see your finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Taylor! Thank you so much for your positive comment! It is really nice to know that you're enjoying my blog and can feel my passion. I am working on more sketches and the actual magazine right now, and I'll be posting it today and next week. I'd very much love if you keep following my blog, and you can be sure I'll be following yours as well.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete