Thursday, March 31, 2016

TOC!

MY SKETCH FOR THE TABLE OF CONTENTS IS DONE!

It was a very fun process, because I got a paper and stared at it for three days. Then, yesterday morning, I got it out of my bag and stared at it for a while, when it came to me. I started drawing a circle and said to myself "This is it".

When I was going through Mrs. Stoklosa's Pinterest page, I found a Media Studies project from a student at ISCA (the third two page spread has this circular design for the article that really appealed to my eyes). Her magazine depressed me a little, because it is actually extremely good and I don't know if I'm up to that. But you know what, I'll do my best. I think I got my inspiration from her magazine, I guess, I don't really know. Anyhow, here's what I came up with:

Some notes around it, not really important.
That's the idea. As soon as I start designing it on the computer, I'm going to make the circle bigger and avoid many blank spaces (like the one next to "Snapshots" and "Thralldom"). I'm thinking about moving the circle more to the left to fit beneath "contents", and having something to the right -an image, a quote, something. Also, I will try the TOC out with white background and black letters, then with black background and white letters. But as I've said in a previous post, I want to keep it clean. I don't want visual pollution, and I don't want unnecessary information.

The TOC, however, is supposed to showcase the style of my magazine. I don't know exactly how to describe the style I've created, but I'd say is playful and classy at the same time. The different sizes of the words and the way they are arranged makes it playful, but the colors I've chosen makes it more classy and clean. The thing is, I want to have some sort of artsy element to it, but I don't know what (I'm banging my head against the wall while I write this, trying to shake out some inspiring idea). So what I did is: I cut out the circle and "contents", and I'm placing it on another paper, trying to play with the space and see what I can have around it.

I have the contents, I have the sketch, I just need the product. But two out of three? Alright, alright, alright.

P.S. Fun fact: TOC means OCD in Portuguese -which is the language spoken in Brazil, where I am from. Interpret this in any way desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment