Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Here Comes a Long (One)

Before anything else, I'd like to say that the piece I'm sharing today is, in my opinion, my best work this year. It is a short story that I wrote it the first time for my AICE Lang class, but because I was caged within the walls of word limit, it didn't turn out exactly as I wanted to. After some time I went back to it, tweaked it a little bit -A LOT, actually- and produced something I liked. Then I went back to it again, tweaked it, and had something I loved. Then I went back to it again, tweaked it, and had my best work of the year. I don't care if anyone disagrees or thinks it's trash, because I am very proud of it. It is a simplistic piece, but it has its powerful tone and call -I'm not about to get all cocky about my work so I'll just leave it at that.

Anyway, I am presenting this piece because as soon as I started working on my magazine, I had the vision of this short story as my two-page spread. But, because I am doing this "listening to people's opinions" thing, I am posting it to get some feedback. My only problem right now -in my mind, of course, because I'm not working on the practical part just yet- is the layout. The two-page spread is supposed to showcase the "feel" of my magazine, the pattern I'm gonna have for the design, and how well I can layout a two-page spread. But because this is a longer piece, I see a big ball coming my way, and on bold, red letters it reads "NO SPACE!". Many lit mags have their longer pieces laid down on the pages without anything else -actually most lit mags have pretty simple layouts-, and I understand that the audience would not mind to have something like that -because if they did, literary magazines would be running out of business-, but I, personally, think it is boring and tiring and a waste of hypothetical creative minds working to create a great hypothetical magazine. I don't want to end up with something like this (many many many words, which look like a book):

Metrosphere's two-page spread
Sketch's page












So the solutions I could come up with so far are:
  • I could have many many many words in a page and still add something characteristic of my magazine, like a background or a picture.
  • I could not have the whole short story in a two-page spread, but maybe the beginning, so I can have more space and play with the layout.
  • I still have two more options that I'm considering for the two-page spread, that are not as strong as this one, and don't hold the same special place in my heart, but that will do the job. 
If all of these go wrong, I'm thinking about doing a different section -especially the comedy one, because I could show a lot of different techniques within it.

But without further ado, here's the piece I've been longing to post on the blog. Ex-cit-ing!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lari! I have to start this by stating that visuals that you have included in your blog posts are really great, so you should definitely continue this! Also, I really like that you have been able to show your personality through your blog, which makes reading the posts more interesting and fun! I would recommend starting to look or create the artwork for your literary magazine, because this is seems like something really important to you and your magazine. When you find it or create it, you should post it on your blog! I can’t wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your research and passion has paid off, it seems like you have clear idea of what you want to do and how you want to do it; the only thing left to do is execute it. Its inspiring how passionate you are about literature, however, it might be more beneficial for you at this point to focus more on the technical aspects of the magazine as opposed to the content. The comparisons and examples you provide are a very helpful in understanding your points, but your voice (although very strong and entertaining) can be distracting with your stylistics and often hard to follow. You may want to consider alternate punctuation and syntax just within your blog posts. Apart from this I love the aesthetics of your documentation process and its refreshing to see a lit mag as a topic. Its clear you understand your choices and reasoning.

    ReplyDelete