Friday, March 25, 2016

Digressing

I'm just passing by to say that I am in love with this magazine: Metrosphere!

Found it on Issuu, which is my new best friend
Metrosphere is the lit mag of Metropolitan State University of Denver, and it showcases the work of students and alumni. Pretty cool.

I love their masthead because it really establishes the brand. On different issues they have it placed on different places, which I think is awesome, for it follows the idea of "creativity in a lit mag"; they also change the color to go with the cover image. I chose to show this cover because of the placement of the masthead, which is rather unusual but still works perfectly -the eyebrows are an important part of the image to create the girl's expression, and that'd be covered if the title was on the top, and because the face is mostly located on the right, the title completes the "empty space" on the left. Metrosphere inspired me to play with my masthead as well: I wanna create something versatile and simple (I'm already working on some sketches and probably will have them up in the blog by next week), which creates the brand of 1867 at the same time.

Everything in the magazine is just so beautiful


Also, as it can be noticed, NO COVER LINES. Why is that, one would wonder? It is because literary magazines don't have cover lines. Cover lines work mostly to attract the audience's attention and present some of the strongest articles inside of the magazine, but lit mags are not about that life. (Yes, I am relatively happy to be saying this right now). All the pieces featured are important, and the audience is -the majority of times- completely established, getting the magazine through subscription. I know I talk about the love for the art and appreciation for the work, but that's because it is true -if it wasn't, I wouldn't say it. I've shown some covers in my earliest posts, and yes, none of them have cover lines. (This is my way of explaining why MY cover won't have cover lines).

Another thing is: I've come to announce that, unlike I had said on my "Not So Random Poem", I won't be having a title for each edition of the magazine. That goes with my decision to have a versatile, simple masthead. But more than that, the mag will hypothetically be composed of submissions, and I can't hypothetically count on people submitting works that fit a theme -unfortunately. Also, the beauty of a lit mag is the variety, the multiple styles and meters and formats. I don't wanna be constrained by a theme.

I have said that I'd be focusing on the table of contents this week, and I AM, TRUST ME, but as I was looking through some mags I came across this one and -epiphany. I couldn't contain it: I had to let my mind think about my cover for a two seconds. This is the outcome of those two seconds.


"Metrosphere Archives - My Met Media." My Met Media. Web. 25 Mar. 2016. <http://mymetmedia.com/category/metrosphere/>. 
"Metrosphere_11/2014." Issuu. Web. 25 Mar. 2016. <https://issuu.com/themetonline/docs/metrosphere2015_1>. 

No comments:

Post a Comment