Thursday, April 7, 2016

Endless Changes

On my last post I wrote about the revolution provoked by a color scheme; this post, therefore, is dedicated to the outcome. I started with the font. I found this one, which is beautiful and classy and kind of hard to figure out, but it's very artsy and worth the effort. Then I just felt it, an epiphany, and next thing I saw was a two page spread done in front of me.

TA DA!
I used Photoshop for that, because I wanted the imitate the brush strokes and really, have total artistic liberty. The empty spaces are where I intended to put my images. The white would have a door (if you read the story it will make sense), and the rose/beige/I-don't-what-to-call-this-color would have the image of a woman's mouth and a men's eyes, and he'd be looking at her. So I obliged my siblings to be models for ten minutes (which ended up being twenty), and took some pictures of the annoying children. 

Don't judge the pictures too harshly, please. The composition was INTENDED -I didn't simply take pictures; I had a limited window of time, these children were complaining throughout the whole thing. I focused on the features I wanted and positioned them in a way that the flash would hit such features perfectly. (Barely can call me a professional photographer, but hey, I got the job done.) Pictures taken, Photoshop called, and I, eager to play with the many brushes and pencils and pens (IT IS INCREDIBLY FUN OVER THERE, I SWEAR), started editing the pictures...ops. My idea was to embody my palette on the images, and I achieve that in a way... just not how I was imagining it. 

Here's what I came up with after playing with my sister's picture:

The colors embodied in a way that I can't explain -again, my brain is funky.
I thought it looked cool and combined it with my brother's edited picture:


Then I thought it looked double cool and added it to my two page spread...

That's when things didn't work out. See, the colors are the same, but while my spread has this classical aura to it, the image has a more modern touch. It simply didn't match. So I had to compromise and let one of them go.

Bye, bye, spread.

But it wasn't a hard decision -I can change the two page spread to have a modern look, but it would take me three times the effort and time to make the pictures look like paintings. Also, I really liked the images, and I can make a theme out of it for the whole magazine. The cover I was thinking at first already owned some of the features of the above image, I just didn't know, since it was all in my head. But now that I've concreted it, I've realize that this is exactly what I want.

I have been working tirelessly on this. The only reason why I'm not posting the door image is because I've realized that I have given up too much of my magazine already, and I'd like to add some surprise element. But really, I am feeling behind and this is NOT GOOD AT ALL. It's time to turn the theory into practice. So right now I'm going to open Photoshop and get to work, because I can already feel the Deadline Desperation symptoms manifesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment